- Perm National Research Polytechnic University was founded in 1953 as Perm Polytechnic Institute.
- In 1992 it was among the first polytechnic institutes in Russia that gained the status of State Technical University.
- In 2007 the University became one of the winners of the innovational education programs contest. In 2009 together with other 29 universities in Russia awarded the status of “National Research University” by the Russian Ministry of Education and Science as a result of competitive selection.
- University has 9 faculties, 8 institutes, 7 centres for advanced training, 29 research and education centers, 36 teaching and research laboratories, 5 engineering centers.
- University offers 187 educational programs for higher professional education, including 57 master's programs, as well as 54 postgraduate programs.
- Annually over 5,500 specialists graduate from the University.
- In July 2012 our university was audited by TUV SUD Management Service GmbH which confirmed the ISO 9001:2008 standard for the second time.
- 9-11June 2014 the "Russian Register" Certification Association conducted an inspection audit of the quality management system at PNRPU and its Chaikovsky branch. University QMS was found to be in full compliance with ISO 9001:2008 for the development and provision of educational services, conducting scientific research and development as well as technological, design, construction and assembly works and services. Appropriate certificates were issued.